Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Day of Stupidness...if that's a word!

Ok. You all know that I'm really a blond in a red-head's body, right? Well, if you didn't know that, I proved it yesterday. My day got off to a great start. I spent 60 minutes on the treadmill, which is my routine on the days I don't go to Curves. I was going to be at school on time, and my morning had been nice. About 2 blocks away from my house, I was texting a friend about a business related matter. I have always done quite well texting and driving, as I glance up/down frequently. But my road is hilly, and I was spacier than usual. I looked up just in time to see that I was going to mow down the neighbor's mailbox. I swerved, but there was nothing I could do. Unfortunately for Nellie, said mailbox was attached to a big woooden post. You can imagine that the outcome was not good! My passenger mirror is gone, there is a good-sized hole/gash where the antenna used to be. There are multiple dents and scratches, including the passenger window. My insurance company just called and the damages are estimated at a little over $2400. I just have a $500 deductible, which I will owe. But they will cover everything else, including the mailbox. However, the neighbor was so sweet about it. He has already fixed the box/post, and will not let me give him anything. He said if I wanted to do something to make a donation to the Volunteer Fire Dept, of which he is a member. So I plan on doing that. I wish I could tell you that I have learned my lesson about driving and texting, but I confess I texted again later that morning. But I am slowing it down, and I may stop texting while driving altogether. It is an expensive lesson to learn.

Other than my being stupid, school is going well. Beginning band is off to a good start, and I am actually enjoying it somewhat. I have ordered our Christmas program stuff, and hope to be able to start on it next week. So that's what is happening here. BTW, Indiana had a horrendous storm on Sunday, set off by Ike. We had 70-80 mile winds, and it was really nasty, looked like we could have tornados. Well, our house didn't sustain any damages, unless you count the fact that it blew the power pack on Dad's computer monitor. It was going to cost almost as much to fix it as to get a new monitor, so he picked the new monitor. Anyway, we were without power for several hours on Sunday, and ended up with David's family here for the night. They had PBJ's for lunch on Sunday, and didn't think they wanted another cold meal Sunday night. So our power was back on by then, so they came over and we had waffles, turkey bacon, eggs, and sausage. It was yummy!!! Which leads me to remember that I am hungry. So am going to close this little epistle early :)

9 comments:

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...

hmm, have we learned anything from this? :-) Don't worry about telling people you are truly a blond. I never doubted it for a minute! :-)
Riddle: what is scarier than a woman driver? A woman driver who is texting.........

krledu said...

Cindy, Cindy, Cindy.... I just have driven with you and I have two words. NO COMMENT!! I know you will have a rebuttal for that. lol

Steve Hight said...

Well, that'll larn ya! I was just reading a day or so ago about that train wreck in California, where they think the engineer might have been texting instead of watching the signals along the track. Is there an epidemic of this?

Anyway, to the bright side -- that Sunday evening supper sounds scrumptious!

And a question -- what in the world do you do for an hour on the treadmill to keep from going nuts?

Cindy said...

Mark,
I truly hope I have learned my lesson. And you've ridden with me before. Really!?! Am I all that scary? I think not!

Kristin,
Give me a break! Don't forget that I have ridden with you on multiple occasions. And let me just say that you keep me prayed up! LOL

Steve,
Yes, I think texting has become an epidemic. I actually have one friend that refuses to text at all. She says it's very poor communication and keeps people from taking responsibility for more intimate communication. As far as the Sunday dinner, yep. It was pretty much tops. Can I just add that the waffles had chocolate chips in them? Wow! And I listen to music while I'm on the treadmill. Really...it's all good!

Steve Hight said...

Whew, chocolate chips in the waffles. Sounds great. Also sounds like a reason to spend an hour on the treadmill.

Mark said...

True. I have ridden with you before. I won't say much, but not only did my life flash before my eyes, so did the lives of several other people............ :-)

Kim M. said...

LOL... I told you my stupid story that I don't quite yet have the courage to blog about ha ha

Girl you inspire me.... an HOUR??? I get sooooo bored even with just 30 minutes and even then I am listening to focus on the family or something like that. I do better walking outside but that's hard for me because of the boys. I've GOT to do something though.... I cannot afford to gain another ounce!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is "Wow". :)