Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ode to Nellie

Well, I have said it before. And I'll say it again. Occasionally there are SOME people that enjoy provoking me to blog. I received an e-mail today that could almost qualify as blackmail...basically forcing me into blogging. Not that there are any listed consequences, but still, it does cause one to pause and wonder. I was going to wait until I had pictures to go with the poem, but I feel the urgency of the e-mail. I will not only post the poem, but I will also post the comments proceeding it.

Here goes...from my good friend, Steve Hight :)

Dear Cindy --

I have written an ode to your little car in the form of a triple limerick. I dare you to post it on your blog. Please note in the Copy window the "great cloud of witnesses" to this request.

Ode to Nellie

There once was a little green Ford.
On a neighborhood mailbox she scored.
Though called an Escape,
She sustained major scrapes --
Cell-phone texting had gotten her gored.

The own'r of the mailbox was nice,
Installed a new post in a trice.
But poor Nellie was sent
To "hospital of dents."
They'd fix her all up for a price.

Dear Nellie must surely feel new.
She's late' had repairs, not a few.
We hope she feels good
And hums 'neath her hood
So her owner won't be in a stew.



There you have it, folks. And I had to laugh! What a great little poem! Would that I were so talented. So yes, Nellie is home, and looking great! I must post a picture of her soon, as well as a picture of the rental car I had for a week. What? A rental car? You bet! It was an '08 Dodge Charger, metallic navy blue. Sweet car! It was an upgrade from the compact that my insurance would pay for, but Enterprise only had that car when I needed help! So what a fun week I've had driving that sporty car :) I kind of hated to return it, to be honest. But I'm also glad to have Nellie home. And I didn't have the rental long enough to name it, so that's probably a good thing.

Gotta run...thanks as always, for reading!

7 comments:

Kim M. said...

Steve H., you are a hoot!

Cindy glad you have Nellie back. Glad you are still alive too.;-)

Mark said...

I love it! Genius on the poet's part :-)

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! :)

Beth Stetler said...

Impressive literature! Definitely should be published.

krledu said...

That poem gave me a good laugh.What would you do without that lumbering ole' car? lol

Steve Hight said...

"Lumbering ol' car."

Now there's an inspirational thought!

Mark said...

Mercy girl! It has been almost a month since you last blogged - hasn't anything been happening in your life?! :-)