Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Autopsy report

Yep, faithful reader, I did receive the autopsy report on poor Nellie. If you did not read my previous post, Nellie is my SUV. I don't understand everything they told me, but will give it a whirl. First, Ford called and told me that my spark plugs were "foul." They were going to change them to the tune of $265 + tax, and I could possibly get my car back last night. NOT! So they change the plugs, and then realize that Nellie still won't start, has no intention of starting. So with further investigation, they found that the power module is out. They said there is like no communication going on in my vehicle, and it's completely not driveable. They said it's dumping too much gas, etc. The good news is that it is covered under the factory 80,000 mile warranty. I told the girl that I didn't buy the extra warranty(never do!) But apparently, Ford covers this problem anyway! Thank the Lord for large blessings! The bad news is that I probably won't get Nellie back until Monday, due to having to order from the vendor, and with the holiday thrown in. Fortunately, I am able to borrow my mom's Impala while mine is being overhauled. Her car needs work too, but it's gonna have to wait on Nellie to return home. Her brakes are funny...well, maybe NOT so funny, as the car acts like it's having a seizure when you try to brake :) Also, her windshield wipers are stuck in the up position...annoying but liveable. They do work if you turn them on and keep them running nonstop, but the minute you turn them off, up they go. It's been a great conversation starter :) So that's all I know right now. I think I'm glad I decided to fly to PA later this month. I figured it would be cheaper, but I am also a little leery of driving huge distances alone and maybe having car trouble.

Well, gotta get ready for church...see ya!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Foul", you say. Hmmmm. It sounds like that wasn't all that was "foul" about your car. So glad that it will be covered!

(It probably was affected by all the Booth Brothers music you've been playing in there. Something for you to think about.) :)

Steve Hight said...

Well, autopsy is the wrong word. That's for something/someone DEAD.

Nellie is only sick, and, like when one goes to the doctor and pays big bucks for medicine and treatment and explanations given with big words that one doesn't know, and that "knowing look" in the doc's eye as he speculates on how he can now upgrade his vacation plans or purchase that extra gadget on his new car, she's now in the hands of experts who have made a diagnosis and then a prognosis and then a prescription in an effort to get her on her "feet" again.

The only difference that I see (outside of mechanical vs. human) is that docs start with the worst case (i.e. heart) and costliest tests and work toward the simpler (i.e. reflux), while the mechanic begins with the simpler and less costly possibility ("only" $265 for replacing {fouled, by the way} spark plugs), and going to the more expensive and worse scenarios only when the cheaper solution hasn't worked.

Probably ends up costing a pretty penny, though. Be grateful for your insurance -- er, warranty -- that will keep you out of total penury while Nellie recovers.

Steve Hight said...

Another thought, now that I see a note from Sonja -- Maybe we better find out what these Booth Brothers are all about. We may have to save Cindy, not to mention Nellie, from foul play and not just "foul" plugs.

After, wasn't it a Booth who was at the theater with Abe Lincoln on that fateful night?

Mark said...

I agree, I thought someone died, most likely a patient. :-) And who names their car?! Same kind of person who calls herself a dog's mom! :-)

Anonymous said...

Good point about a Booth being at the theater. Such good info for pondering. Are you listening, Cindy? ;)

Cindy said...

Thank you all so much for your touching concern:) Yes, you are right. Nellie is not dead. But I do maintain that she is in a comatose state, unable to respond. I will be glad when she is revived, believe me.

Sonja, I'm pretty sure my choice of music has nothing to do with Nellie's current condition. And if you ever go hear the Booth Brothers in person, you too will be affected. Trust me. Everything is fine!

Steve,yes, it was John Wilkes Booth that shot our dear Abe Lincoln. As far as I know, he is not related to the the Booth Brothers:) And even if he were, people don't have to follow their heritage. They can change for the better or the worse. As far as your comments about doctors(which are very close to my heart,) just remember that they want to rule out a heart condition quickly. If they treat a heart condition and it ends up being reflux, you're none the worse. But if they treat reflux and it's really your heart...well need I say more? :)

Mark, cool people name their vehicles. As you know, since you know me. Now, I will admit that last time you rode in her, she had straw sticking from the ceiling :) But she is a good multi-purpose vehicle. And if I want to be "Mommy" to my little bundle of joy, whats the harm in that? Just because you don't like dogs or even puppies doesn't mean the rest of us have to follow suit :)

Okay...now that I've got that off my chest, I'm ready for the 4th of July!

Anonymous said...

Whatever.

Anonymous said...

;-)

Steve Hight said...

Hey, yeah, I understand about the doctors and the heart and all . . . . I was just saying . . . you know . . . that you gotta start somewhere and that's where they start . . . okay?

As to John Wilkes Booth and the Booth Brothers . . . well, I don't know. When we lived in Rockwood, TN, there was a Booth funeral home. Just seems kinda risky to me somehow.

Mark said...

The poster seems to be awfully touchy these days :-)
I like the Booth Brothers too!

Steve Hight said...

Oooops! Now I've got two people after me. Help, Sonja!

Kim M. said...

Good grief... are y'all that bored? LOL just kidding. You are all probably relaxing after a big fourth celebration. Yes, cool people name their vehicles. Our van is "Douglas". Justin named it.
Yes, also the windshield wipers on Janet's car are pretty humorous. Sorry about Nellie. Hope she gets better soon.

Steve Hight said...

So now it's Tuesday. What's the (good) (bad) news about Nellie? We are holding our breath (figuratively speaking only) in anticipation of knowing Nellie's fate.

BTW, my dad always called his cars Betsy. I've never named one, though.

Cindy said...

Nellie is, unfortunately, still in the shop :( I miss her so much...grateful to be able to use my mom's car, but tired of the impala-mobile :) I'm HOPING to get her back sometime tomorrow. Something about the part is in, but needs programmed. Over a week is a long time to be without one's favorite wheels.
(I'm done whining for now!)

Mark said...

I think the problem is the nut that turns the wheel :-)

Dave said...

Ha, Ha!! I love that story about your car!! I hate having car trouble so much!!! I've had my share that's for sure!